In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Thursday 31 October 2013

Little Shop of Horrors (1986)


The musical comedy horror genre is distressingly underpopulated. Based on a musical that was based on the 1960s movie of the same name, Little Shop of Horrors offers campy scares, lots of laughs, and surprisingly catchy tunes. The music is a little dated, but somehow everything clicks together, from the motown Greek chorus to the wonderfully cheesy effects.

What really sells this film is its cast. Steve Martin is at his absolute funniest, Levi Stubb's voice acting is spectacular, and Rick Moranis makes Seymour work in a way few actors could. It's not for everyone, but for those who like a side of music with their black comedy, it's something you can watch over and over again without getting bored. My only complaint is the ending, which is satisfying enough, but doesn't quite match the tone of the film. Look up the original the next time you give this one a watch.

4 long, slow root canals out of 5

1 comment:

cuckoo said...

I going to hang my head in shame in just a moment when I say this...

...I've never seen this movie for no good reason.

NO GOOD REASON. :erm:

It's just constantly slipped between my fingers.
I've seen the Bill Murray scene a few times though for some reason.