In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 4 March 2013

THE SNOWTOWN MURDERS [2011]

Justin Kurzel's The Snowtown Murders is an immensely upsetting film based on the true story of the Bodies-in-Barrels murders in South Australia.
The bleakness of the film doesn't really make for entertainment but more a hypnotizing character study that I would have rather not gotten so heavily involved in.  It features a terribly realistic torture scene, animal brutality & mutilation and a constant uneasiness that leaves you feeling sick.  What's interesting is it almost completely ignores the gory side of the murders, with minimal kills on screen and instead digs deep into the characteristics of the murderers which is downright haunting.  It's not a fun film but most definitely a well-crafted one that deserves recognition.

3½ kangaroo bits out of 5

4 comments:

Borderline said...

Thought it was going to have more gross-out and extreme moments than it did.

I did enjoy the naturalistic acting as Bunting creeped his way into the family. And even though I read up on the history behind the murders before, I still had a hard time deciphering certain scenes.

3.5 from me as well

cuckoo said...

I think I found it disturbing in such a way it didn't need too many gross-out/extreme moments to make an impact.

The character's mentalities, the way they were all good "friends" with their victims and the shitty living conditions is what made it really creepy. I think Dan Henshall did an amazing job at playing the charismatic yet despicable Bunting.

The dog and the bathtub scene near the end really, really bothered me. They were nothing compared to a lot of other exaggerated films, but the stark realism and one-take shots is what made me them really uncomfortable for me.

...and yeah, it's still really difficult to tell what exactly is going on. I'm glad I read up on the crimes first, because then I would have been really lost. It was like I was 3 steps behind the film the whole time as it was. XD

Borderline said...

I don't think there was anything in this movie that made me really squirm in my seat. I agree that the bleakness of the film is the most disturbing aspect.

I was much more disturbed by such films as The Woman, The Girl Next Door, and Martyrs.

cuckoo said...

Well...I can't really argue with Martyrs. I almost shut it off because it was too intense. I'm glad I didn't though. Wonderful film.

The Girl Next Door and The Woman were pretty icky too.

I was reminded of The Girl quite a few times while watching Snowtown.