In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Thursday 29 January 2015

A Walk Among the Tombstones (2014)

Writer/director Scott Frank attempts to bring the popular literary figure Matt Scudder, a former NYPD-cop, now private investigator to the silver screen. Liam Neeson's experienced and thoughtful nature lends well to the character. It's obvious he has carried the weight of the world on his shoulders and demons in his past. Hired by a drug trafficker (Dan Stevens), he must track down a pair of grisly serial killers who ransom their victims. The film is paced extremely well with a bulk of the proceedings dealing with Scudder's meticulous and determined pursuit. The hit-and-miss supporting cast is really the only blight on the film. While I was impressed with Olafur Olafsson's sullen performance of the third culprit, it's a shame so much runtime was wasted on Scudder's adolescent wingman TJ (Brian Bradley).

3½ unfortunate bullets to the eye out of 5

1 comment:

cuckoo said...

I enjoyed this one quite a bit more than I thought I would.
...and I was expecting to enjoy it for being a crappy thriller guilty pleasure.

Instead I got an effectively moody, well-paced suspense that used it's back-drop quite well. I love the feeling of the city in this one. The buildings were in fact the tombstones. :laugh:

Didn't mind the kid at all. I was afraid he was going to be nothing but a tag along but they managed to fit him into the plot quite naturally.

3 bags in the pond out of 5