In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 8 December 2014

The House That Dripped Blood (1971)

Despite the gruesome title, this anthology horror film surrounding a succession of doomed tenants in the titular abode does not contain one drop of blood. But the lack of gore is not a hindrance as the renowned cast (Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Denholm Elliott, Ingrid Pitt) serve up a film full of atmosphere, intrigue and dismay. Psycho's Robert Bloch penned the script and his devious nature is found in each segment's twist. I found the score by Michael Dress to be a real standout component. Not just a background compliment to each scene, but a guide leading each character towards their ill-fates. While some may find the title misleading and the visuals dated, this classic contains enough of the macabre to keep any horror aficionado happy.

3½ head is a dish best served cold out of 5

1 comment:

Dr Faustus said...

I prefer Hammer Studio’s output but Amicus did some great stuff, too. If they’d found a hammy role for Vincent Price, perhaps as a narrator, I’d have called that a dream casting come true!

I watched the trailer to get a refresher because I was sure I’d seen it but couldn't remember specifics. I don’t recall anything of the Pertwee section but the others all ring familiar.