In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 4 February 2013

THE GIRL NEXT DOOR [2007]

Director Gregory Wilson adapts novelist Jack (The Woman) Ketchum's The Girl Next Door into one of the most disturbing films I've seen in a long time.
Inspired by the Sylvia Likens torture & murder case, the film takes place in the 50's, which gives it the same sort of nostalgic flair a Stephen King novel might have.  However the King comparisons end there as it dives deep into places I'd rather not think about or care to see again. Like the classic psychological horror films, The Collector & Peeping Tom, it explores the terrifying psyche of a lunatic and the effects she has on others.  At first I was fooled by the friendly TV movie like look it had but an unexpected and unsettling dread slowly crept under my skin making me think it was intentional.  As powerfully acted and written as it is, I don't think I'll be venturing down this way ever again.

4 crayfish out of 5

No comments: