In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Tuesday 22 January 2013

The Animatrix (2003)

An anthology of nine short tales set within the world of The Matrix (1999), four of which were written by the Wachowski brothers siblings. Some fit snugly into chronological gaps in the original film trilogy, while others are less directly linked. Anime fans should recognise many of the names attached. Each creator brings a unique voice and vision (sci-fi, noir, chanbara, etc), meaning it’s full of diversity and if you don’t like one there's another along shortly that may rub you happy. I really wish there had been more. Personal favourites: Beyond (Kôji Morimoto), and Matriculated (Peter Chung).

4 nose bleeds out of 5

4 comments:

cuckoo said...

:laugh:

I was curious to see how you would handle addressing The Wachowskis. XD

Dr Faustus said...

Mr and Mrs. I wonder do they ever get confused as husband and wife when out and about?

Neg said...

I thought I remembered seeing that you had done this. I was right :)

I sort of addressed it earlier, but outside of the wonderful Second Renaissance the plot relevant entries falter in certain ways. Osiris isn't THAT important of a tale to tell (with fan service that feels like filler) and Kid's story has an art style that I'm not fond of.

The rest all center around neat ideas, much like the comics and short stories, but again, I'm comfortable enough skipping them most of the time.

3 Robotic Riders of the Apocalypse out of 5

Dr Faustus said...

I love that each one has a unique identity and yet still fits into the grand scheme of things. If they made more tomorrow I'd pre-order instantly.

The only one I frequently skip is the one about the runner.