In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 3 August 2012

Stand By Me (1986)

Four boys, half of them aware they're at a turning point in their lives, take a journey along the train tracks to find a missing boy of their own age. Along the way they laugh, cry, bond and mature in a coming of age drama penned by American author Stephen King.
It had been over a decade since I last watched SBM. The memories came flooding back from the outset. Dir. Rob Reiner understands the purity of youth; his pace can take the viewer back in time to their own childhood, on a wave of warm nostalgia that's able to stir feelings both happy and sad. It's a timeless piece of cinema that'll never cease being relevant to almost everyone.

4½ pennies and a pilgrimage out of 5

3 comments:

cuckoo said...

I love this film so much.

Saw it first when I was 11 or 12. It made such an impact on who and what I am today.

Was my introduction to Stephen King too.

Luckily it was this one, otherwise I might have missed some of the golden stories he did write buried underneath the piles and piles of crap he mostly does.

Dr Faustus said...

I thought I’d be adding some stuff in comments to an existing post. When I saw it wasn’t already Nutted, I got nervous! How can I do it justice…? I think I failed.
I had a River Phoenix double bill. He was a fantastic actor.

cuckoo said...

"When I saw it wasn’t already Nutted, I got nervous! How can I do it justice…? I think I failed."

:rofldata:

An all too familiar feeling.