In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 28 July 2012

LADY IN THE WATER [2006]

M. Night Shyamalan's "bedtime story" Lady In The Water is a universally panned film that I find hard not liking.  
Sure it's got an uneven plot, questionable dialogue and terribly written characters, but the mood, performances and music are great.  Shyamalan had balls to make a film like this when the big thing in mainstream cinema were manboy superheros and boy wizards.  It's nothing more than wide-eyed storytelling that serves it's purpose in entertainment.

3 giant fap-arms out of 5

2 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

I agree. Plus, it's hard to dislike Paul Giamatti. I like this one for personal reasons so 3 out of 5 from me too but it probably doesn't deserve it. :)

Impudent Urinal said...

I also found it at least worth watching. I remember laughing at the crude drawing in the opening credits because it reminded me of Invader Zim. I have no idea why.
Nice try making a new fairytale even if it is a little disjointed.

2 Bare legs in the shower, Rawr. out of 5