In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Thursday 29 March 2012

CHOPPER [2000]


Let me start off by saying Eric Bana's acting presence has never really interested me that much.
...until Chopper.
Australian director Andrew Dominik's 2000 semi-biographical drama about almost legendary criminal, Mark "Chopper" Read from Down Under is an instant cult classic. It follows his misadventures going in and out of prison and all the colorful folks he has run-ins with. The virtually unrecognizable Bana is both hilarious and intimidating as the frighteningly unpredictable title character giving the film that extra punch that it needs. It's a bit of a disjointed mess at times but feels organic as it's coming from Read's own mess of a head.

3½ good old fashioned ear removals out of 5

6 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

I've picked this up a few times and put it down again in favour of something else. I know I'll get to it someday, now I know it'll be worth it.

cuckoo said...

It's one of those movies where it's easy to see why someone would love it. But it's just as easy to see why someone would love it.

Plus Mick Harvey did the music. :D

cuckoo said...

:rolleyes:

Replace one of those "love"'s with "hate".

Dr Faustus said...

It doesn't matter which one I replace, it makes the same sense either way.

It's a Keanu meme without Keanu.

0_0 :'splode:

Dr Faustus said...

Watched this last night. I had expected it to be violent but had no idea it would so funny too. It was great. Best thing I've seen Bana do. 3½ from me too. If the second half had been more focussed it'd be a 4.

cuckoo said...

Wasn't Bana feckin' fantastic? Hilarious.
He got that look in his eyes down pat.

Coincidentally got in a conversation about this film and Jesse James the other night with my Australian buddy.

We fapped in each other's drinks.