In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Thursday 1 June 2017

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

An ageing US senator has an 'old west' story to tell, one that he's been holding onto for decades, from before railroads connected the civilised parts of the country with the lawless parts. The majority of the film details it in flashback.
Stewart is an outsider lawyer who advocates non-violence. Wayne is a weathered cowboy who advocates gunfire if the situation calls for it. One is a talker, the other a doer. They nevertheless develop a strong respect for each other over time, but their differences remain.
The physical threat isn't as mean as he could've been, perhaps by way of avoiding overshadowing the emphasis placed on the relationships? I don't know. I do know that the comedy moments weakened the established tone a little too often for my liking. But the wrap up is excellent, and it's Wayne and Stewart in the same film! That makes it more than worth anyone's time.

3½ cactus roses out of 5

2 comments:

cuckoo said...

I've never actually seen this one.

It's Jimmy Stewart that makes me go "ooohhh...yes please".

Then it's John Wayne that makes me go "aww, hell no".

However Lee Marvin, John Carradine and Vera Miles might win me over.

And I liked Ford's Grapes of Wrath which also featured Carradine.

I might have to fap on only half of your pillow. :)

Dr Faustus said...

There's probably slightly more Jimmy than John, but that's still a lot of John to make you twitch.