In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 30 June 2017

2016 - Cuckoo's Year in Review

In keeping with tradition, I hereby submit my yearly film favorites ridiculously late.  This year being half-way through the next year and my Favorites of 2017 list is already piling up.  😃
This year, I ended with a list of 38 films and, unlike previous years, I had no problem narrowing it down to a Top 10.  It was a good year for the craft but I found I only found 3 movies worthy of a full five stars, while there were 35 four stars all worth recommendations.

You know the rest...

Here's my Top 10 Favorite Films of 2016:

click on the titles for mini-reviews

10.  The Witch
9.  Hunt for the Wilderpeople
8.  Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
7.  Busanhaeng
6.  La Tortue Rouge
5.  Captain America: Civil War
4.  Moonlight
3.  Hacksaw Ridge
2.  The Handmaiden
1.  Arrival

Honorable Mentions:
20th Century Women
Don't Think Twice
Eyes of My Mother, The
Forushande
In a Valley of Violence
Kubo and the Two Strings
La La Land
Lion
Ma Vie de Courgette
Neon Demon, The
Nice Guys, The
Sausage Party
Swiss Army Man
Under Sandet
Zootopia

...and even though it wasn't particularly a great movie, one can't let this WTF film go unnoticed:
The Greasy Strangler
It took me weeks to shake this one out of my brain.

We can't let this list go without mentioning the obligatory Cream of the Crap.
Luckily I managed to avoid Nine Lives or Inferno but the following five managed to find their way onto my screen and into the bottom of my toilet:

Alice Through the Looking Glass
Cell
Divergent Series: Allegiant, The
Forest, The
Holidays

And that's that.

Agree?  Disagree?
I'd love to hear your comments.

No comments: