In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 7 February 2015

Amityville IV: The Evil Escapes (1989)

As a teenager I had an Amity IV poster on my wall. I’d not seen the film but I liked the creepiness and had learned to equate organised religion with inherent evil, which is what the blackened priest seemed to imply. If I’d known how bad the movie was I’d probably have taken it down. That’s a crap story, you say, but it’s still better than what the film delivered.
The banging doors and bleeding walls promised much, but it went lamp shaped, literally. The evil is a possessed standing lamp. Hardly terrifying.
There are some laughs to be had at the sheer ridiculousness, though. The kid with the chainsaw deserves a comedy award.

1 black puddle out of 5

2 comments:

cuckoo said...

Mick Garris has bought the rights to your "poster" story.
Dewey from Malcolm In The Middle is playing you.

Dr Faustus said...

It’ll be part of a triple-play dvd package with Scorpion King II and III.

Pre-orders won't be necessary.