In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 6 October 2013

Tekkonkinkreet (2006)

A Japanese anime based on a manga, made by Studio 4°C and directed by a Westerner. I wondered how an outside influence would impact on the story, but I needn't have worried, because Arias knew what he was doing and he did it in style. The character designs weren't to my liking, but once they started to move and work their way into my emotions they came alive and the aesthetic become less of an issue. The way they coexist with the beautifully rendered backgrounds is nothing short of amazing.
It feels as if the plot is being pulled in different directions early on, but each of the protagonists have a crucial role to play in the overall story.
The third act had me utterly transfixed.

4 stray cats out of 5

No comments: