In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 11 August 2013

A LIFE LESS ORDINARY [1997]

The adorably malicious A Life Less Ordinary is director Danny Boyle's version of a romantic fantasy comedy.
There's guns, headshots, car wrecks, musical numbers, animation, robots, angels and bank robberies, in short, everything that makes a good rom-com.  Unfortunately after you're done taking this fun ride of a road trip you can't help but feel there never really was any point to it all.  No matter it's really just good fun without a lingering aftertaste or really nary an afterthought as well.

3 gravediggers out of 5

3 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

It’s been forever since I watched this but I think I’d score it the same as you, and for the very same reasons. It’s fun but throwaway.
I read the comic adaptation too. It was serialised in 2000AD at the time.

Marceline said...

I saw this part way on TV a couple times before I finally found out what movie this was. Ah, the dark ages before IMDB. I think I've forgotten the title a few time since too.

In spite of my forgetfulness, and although think your score (and your review) is more than fair, but there's something about this one that I really like. Maybe it's just Ewan McGregor, or maybe there's just something about it that feels special to me. I should watch it again.

cuckoo said...

I quite enjoyed it.

I think I just really like the idea of angels on Earth doing there job no matter how dirty their hands get.

I've written 2 stories like that both completely different in tone from this and each other.

The musical number got me uber-giddy too. Love that kind of stuff. XD