In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Tuesday 16 July 2013

THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF ROSALIND LEIGH [2012]

From Rue Morgue magazine founder, Rodrigo Gudiño comes this stylish quiet little ghost story, The Last Will And Testament Of Rosalind Leigh.
It's shot and lit with creepy precision, edited with a slow but invigorating pace and hauntingly narrated by Vanessa Redgrave.  Unfortunately the film itself fails to muster up much interest with it's tendency to not really go anywhere and when it does it seems to be trailing behind a dead snail.  I love me some slow-burning storytelling but this is just ridiculous.

2 angel eyes out of 5

2 comments:

Borderline said...

This one exceeded my expectations. Thought it was shot and lit well and while at times it seemed to meander, in the final minutes I was really engrossed. 3.5 out of 5.

cuckoo said...

Oh, the first five minutes had me completely entranced with it's photography and lighting.

I love the tracking shots and Vanessa Redgrave's voice added so much to it.

Unfortunately it just didn't do it for me after awhile. I checked my clock one too many times for such a short film.

...but yeah...it does make up for a lot of it in the finale.

I didn't hate it. It just didn't stick around.