In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Tuesday 25 June 2013

Rurouni Kenshin (2012)

RK is based on a manga I haven’t read (there’s also an anime called ‘Samurai X’ I haven’t seen), so I came to the story free of expectations. It squeezes a lot in but it does it in style, leaving just a few loose ends.
Being set during the changing Meiji era allows the visuals to offer up a traditional aesthetic with a more colourful modern flair. It looks fantastic.
The majority of the cast are well-written with sufficient time spent characterising before the drama really begins. There’s one comic-like villain who feels somewhat out of place, but he helps lighten the tone.
Director Keishi Ōtomo sure knows how to make action scenes exciting; they’re fast and concise with just enough of the fantastical to get the heart racing. I'm stoked for a sequel.

3½ paralysing techniques out of 5

1 comment:

Borderline said...

You should check out the Samurai X anime. It's has a very serious tone and I could definitely see it as a live action feature. I'll have to check this one out. Kudos.