In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Wednesday 5 June 2013

LABYRINTH [1986]

Jim Henson, George Lucas and Monty Python's Terry Jones team-up for the bizarre fantasy film Labyrinth.  A complete box office failure that nearly destroyed Henson's drive, the film gained a heavy cult following over the years with it's dazzling visuals, amazing puppetry and of course David Bowie's lump.  Sadly the story is pretty thin, lessened even more with the blandness of Jennifer Connelly's leading character and a narrative that never quite gets on it's own two feet.  Still, Henson's ambition and creativity can't go unnoticed and raises the film above its heavy faults.

3 rooms of Relativity out of 5

4 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

You just Nutted my adolescence… 0_0 Well, a small (but significant) part of it.

Adult me gives it 3½ for the wealth of imagination on display, the life given to the puppets, the set design, and er… Bowie. The narrative is essentially a series of events / trials strung one after another that don’t hold up to over-analysis but it’s fun and it doesn’t overly-condescended.

Young me gives it the full 5 for creating and sustaining a sense of wonder that I’m still enraptured by today.

cuckoo said...

I Nutted your adolescence in Faustus underoos. :)

That was only the 2nd time I've ever seen it. First time was one it first came out and I wasn't awfully fond of it back then.
Loved The Dark Crystal though and I think it might get the same score as this one.

It was weird, both this film and The Dark Crystal showed up on my free VOD list the other day, which I thought was only films from the past 2 years. Guess not.

Dr Faustus said...

That's bizarre... those two films will forever be connected in my head. When I think of one I always think of the other.

budarc said...

I saw it in theaters as part of its 30th anniversary reissue. It was quite a memorable experience. I never considered this one of my favorites, but after watching it on the big screen, I felt like a kid again. Just last week I saw The NeverEnding Story in theaters which transported me back to the past too. Last year I also got to see The Princess Bride in cinemas. Now if they would play Time Bandits next, we'd be in pretty good shape.