In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 5 April 2013

URGH! A MUSIC WAR [1981]

Urgh! A Music War is a collection of live performances by a variety of alternative music acts from the early '80's.  
Director Derek Burbidge manages to round up The Cramps, Dead Kennedys, Oingo Boingo, Devo, Echo & Bunnymen, XTC and a number of lesser known acts that probably didn't live to see 1985.  Without any narration or any banter in between songs, the film acts as a noteworthy time capsule of the type of musical acts that went against the stadium rock mainstream in those days.  In it's 2009 DVD release, the film is neither restored or remastered, therefore maintaining the gritty quality of the VHS tape, giving it a nostalgic feel.  Sure there's a lot of filler crap during it's 2 hours running time but the standout numbers more than make up for it.

3½ coked up nerds in a moshpit out of 5

2 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

I looked up the list of artists on wiki. I don’t know most of them so there'd be lots for me to get acquainted with. Of the ones I did recognise I’d watch for Toyah, Dead Kennedys, Gary Numan, and The Police.

cuckoo said...

There's a few act on there I never heard of before seeing the film. Sadly they didn't have much out either.

It makes me feel old when I realize I first saw this film nearly 20 years ago. :erm: