In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Wednesday 10 April 2013

THE THEATRE BIZARRE [2011]

Horror film anthologies have a tendency to be real hit & miss with each segment and the 6-part The Theatre Bizarre is no exception.  
Inspired by the concept of the terrifying Grand Guignol theatre that frames the individual stories, it's hosted by the always creepsome Udo Kier and is actually quite effective.  Then we go into the first segement which is atrociously terrible, followed by 2, 3 & 4 which are painfully predictable but serviceable and followed by the unique, gruesome and twisted 5 & 6th segments which couldn't have come sooner.  

2½ cocks for breakfast out of 5

2 comments:

Borderline said...

Which segment did you like?

I didn't find any of them particularly stand-out.

"The Accident" was the worst. There was absolutely nothing to it. I had to go back twice to see if I had missed something.

1 out of 5

cuckoo said...

"The Accident" was terribly out of place. It explored the horrors of explaining death to a child but isn't particularly splatter house material, like the other shorts aimed for.

I liked the "Visions" one simply because it was disgusting and the Gluttony one because it was just...well...what the feck.

None of them are particularly good at all but the follow the traditions of the gory trash from the Grand Guignol theatre and that's fine with me.

I'd seen "I Love You" somewhere else and I can't remember where. :confused: