In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 16 March 2013

Do the Right Thing (1989)

A drama that unfolds slowly over the course of one scorching hot summer day in Brooklyn. As the temperature rises, so too does the tension and the tempers of the inhabitants.
The film is like a play in which the stage is an entire street; it feels cut off from the larger city for the purposes of drama, which emphasises its self-sufficiency and its tight community values.
Being a Spike Lee film means it's a political sledgehammer, but it doesn't overwhelm the well-scripted character moments, of which there are many.

4 slices with something extra out of 5

4 comments:

cuckoo said...

You're catching up with times here on The Nutshell.

A movie directed by a black guy. Old Man Faustus surprises us again.

XD

Great film.

Giancarlo Esposito goodness.

4 Malcolm X quotes out of 5

Dr Faustus said...

I love it. I first saw it when I was about 17 but could never find it on video (no dvds back then).
I finally got it on disc about 3 years ago.

It's my favourite Spike movie.

I'd like to watch Clockers again but I don't own it. :(

cuckoo said...

Was it not available on video in The Future or just hard to track down?

Spike's made some great films.

He's been kind of off since Inside Man though.

Have no idea how he's going to handle Oldboy. O_o

Dr Faustus said...

I don't know which. Back then I was limited to what was available in small town video stores. They didn't stock it.
There was no internet either.
Jebus, no dvd... no internet... way to make me feel old. :(