In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Thursday 21 February 2013

THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION [1994]

Director Frank Darabont's film adaptation of the Stephen King novella Rita Hayworth & The Shawshank Redemption is one of those perfect films that doesn't come around that often.
It's a beautiful story of hope, patience and friendship in a world where prison frees your soul while the outside traps it.  All of it complimented by spot-on performances, a large cast of intriguing characters, gorgeous photography, iconic imagery, fascinating camerawork and a heart-wrenching score from Thomas Newman.  It's simply a timeless masterpiece that's touches my soul in the best of ways.

5 rock hammers out of 5

6 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

Darabont is a wanker but he did good. It's the kind of film that Tim Robbins deserves.
5 pin-ups out of 5

cuckoo said...

I like Darabont quite a bit.

The Mist was a bit of a miss but I can see what he was up to there.

AMC were fools to fire him from The Walking Dead and replace him with Glen Mazzara. Only to fire Mazzara a year later too. XD

Darabont's got a new Mickey Cohen series coming out starring the cast members who got killed on TWD, plus Simon Pegg. Great round-up so far.

Dr Faustus said...

I wasn't hating on his films. I meant him personally. I've seen him in interviews. When he opens his mouth, garbage comes out. I'm more than happy to watch his films.

Dr Faustus said...

I've not seen that cover art before, mine is different. It looks like Andy just got zapped by lightning.

cuckoo said...

It's the 10th Anniversary edition.

Drew Struzan artwork.

Impudent Urinal said...

I hate when I have to narrow down movies when people ask "What's you're favorite?", but if I have to answer I always say Shawshank Redemption. I actually still have the old VHS and no dvd which is kind of weird.

5 Farts in the Wind out of 5