In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Tuesday 19 February 2013

A Scanner Darkly (2006)

The less you know about A Scanner Darkly in advance the better. What I can say is that it's based on a Phillip K. Dick novel, which means it explores themes including, but not limited to, paranoia, schizophrenia and the shifting nature of reality. It uses sci-fi ideas but it isn't sci-fi. Dick fans and people that like to give their brain some exercise should enjoy it.
The film was shot as normal and then digitally painted by hand in a painstaking process that took 18 months. If the resultant visual style puts you off watching, then you're not the target audience anyhow and you can go on with life confident that you've not wasted your time, nor that of the filmmakers.

3½ objective points of view out of 5

3 comments:

cuckoo said...

'Bout time you nutted this. Been waiting for a few weeks while I watched it sit in draft mode for all that time. :laugh:

---

I don't know if I can fap to cartoon Winona or not.

She's real...but she's a cartoon.

I'm so confused.

3½ scramble suits out of 5

cuckoo said...

...and awesome to see Rory Cochrane. :D

Dr Faustus said...

I planned to watch it the night I put it in draft. I went to the shelf when I shut down the PC but the dvd wasn’t there. 0_0
I’d lent it out, and forgotten to whom. I had to wait until I could get it back.

Yea, ‘toon Winona was kinda hot. :erm: