In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 13 January 2013

LES MISERABLES [2012]

The King's Speech director Tom Hooper succeeds in adapting a spectacular film version of  Claude-Michel Schönberg & Alain Boublil's musical butchering of Victor Hugo's epic novel, Les Misérables.
It's filled with beautiful set-pieces, colorful photography and strong performances, particularly Hugh Jackman and the all too brief appearances of Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter & Sacha Baron Cohen.  Sadly, the stage musical itself is a poor adaptation of Hugo's novel, being as it only covers about 1/3 of the actual story, therefore loses most of it's purpose and complete emotional punch.  Still, the film itself is quite the spectacle that's filled with passion and dedication.  

3½ empty chairs at empty tables out of 5

2 comments:

Neg said...

What the fuck did I watch? I was promised sexy Hugh singing. I got caterwauling. Anne Hathaway is the Bucky to Hugh's Cap. I'm supposed to care about someone who's been on screen for 10 minutes?

Plot holes, hardly any development for anyone.

I was in physical pain listening to Hugh. I'm going to have to watch Origins to cleanse my pallet.

I thought musicals were like Josie and Grease where it's a movie, with songs. NOT SINGING DIALOGUE.

Worst movie I have ever seen. I threatened the people who clapped at the end. Can I call this movie?

Was this an Opera? This isn't FFVI, mon frere.

Only joy was moments of Russel's singing, because it reminded me of Costello's album North.

I'm not kidding Cuckoo, it was so awful ;_;; Django is movie of the millenium after Avengers, Revelations, and this. Skimpy-ass third act and all. I don't care if you're outshone by Waltz, Leo, and SLJ, Jamie. So sublime in comparison.

cuckoo said...

:rofldata:

Sounds like you had no idea what you're getting yourself into.

I'm guessing you're not familiar with the musical. I am and expected the worst.

I loathe the musical for everything it's worth. Or any other adaptation of Les Miserables. The only way it can be properly done would be a 10-part mini-series on HBO.

As a spectacle I thought it was a great achievement from a technical and cosmetic point of view. I probably should have given it a 3 but was a little more enthusiastic when I went in expecting to hate it.