In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 18 January 2013

INGLORIOUS BASTERDS [2009]

Writer/director Quentin Tarantino's self-proclaimed masterpiece Inglorious Basterds seems to be a "love it or hate it" type of film.
Giving the WWII film a spaghetti western makeover, Tarantino dumps his morals out the window and inserts cartoonish entertainment, laughter and brutal violence into the holocaust days with a smug look on his face.  It might be an enjoyable ride for some, while others it's an offensive, disrespectful shit-bucket.  Depending on how you feel about the subject material is what will measure your enjoyment of the film.  Christophe Waltz's performance turns the long, drawn-out scenes into something worth watching.  Basically in the end, it's like a script from a high school student who has no idea what WWII was and then shot & edited by a film school art student, which gives it all a certain type of likeable flair.  

3½ Nation's Pride out of 5

4 comments:

Impudent Urinal said...

Watching a film cheering the deaths of a bunch of dudes cheering the deaths in a film. Very meta Q.

4 That's a bingo! out of 5

Borderline said...

I wasn't a fan of this not because I was offended but because for me it's one of those films I've watched once and have no desire to ever watch again.

I can watch Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill till my eyes bleed but at the end of this I was like "meh, it was ok." 2 out of 5 for me.

cuckoo said...

It's probably what I consider Tarantino's best next to Reservoir Dogs, which is saying a lot considering I'm not very fond of Tarantino at all.

Dr Faustus said...

I like Jackie Brown. It feels more like a proper film, as opposed to small scenes stitched together like much of his work.