In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 28 January 2013

Dolan's Cadillac (2009)

Christian Slater plays a mobster with his fingers deep in trafficking. His bad acting clashes with Wes Bentley’s bad acting and it’s left to Emmanuelle Vaugier to keep the film from falling into a giant-sized pot hole. They should've used her more. She was one of three things that kept it from being ejected from my player. The second thing was the director's passion for the material. And finally, the material itself; it was based on a Stephen King short that owed a huge debt to Edgar Allan Poe. I love Poe.

2½ specific varieties of Sherry out of 5

4 comments:

cuckoo said...

Christ.

This and two other recent Christian Slater films have been lingering around my VOD for a few months now.

I'm determined to avoid them no matter how shitty some of the other selections are.

Dr Faustus said...

Slater hasn't made a really good film in about 20 years. It's a shame as he was great back in the day (Pump Up the Volume, Heathers etc). At least, my memory of those times say he was great. I've not watched them in a very long time.

cuckoo said...

I don't really recall him being particularly great but I do remember him being the definition of "cool" back then and that was good enough for those films.

He had nearly the exact same sort of presence that Nicholson demanded. ...and like Jack, he was the same guy in every movie. Only not as intense.

cuckoo said...

I forgot to comment on the Emmanuelle Vaugier thing too. XD I don't know if she's great either but I'll watch it if she's in...or at least give it a great deal of my time. Something about her.