In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 18 January 2013

Appleseed (2004)

A Japanese animation with a unique visual flair that’s CGI motion capture but respectful to cel animation colouring methods, and also faithful to traditional Japanese styles. It's hard to describe in words. It’s much too polished at times but it’s undeniably beautiful to look at.
It attempts to inject some emotion into a typically exposition-heavy Masamune Shirow narrative about future societies and what it is that makes us human, and occasionally it succeeds.

3½ sins of humanity out of 5

2 comments:

Borderline said...

Watched this a few years ago and the thing I remember most about it was that song "Dive For You". I think I gave it a 3 out of 5.

Dr Faustus said...

3 is a what I'd have scored it initially. I've watched it a few times, and have enjoyed it a little more each time.