In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 31 December 2012

The Time Machine (2002)

This version of the H G Wells story is a giant-sized turd, but it proffered some very exciting blink and you’ll miss them sci-fi ideas that could've been plundered to become the basis for something much better. Their inclusion was utterly baffling until I found out the screenplay was by John Logan; that pretty much explained everything.
It scores points for the titular machine, which was a fantastic piece of design, although I’d have liked some crazy pseudoscience to explain how it was able to traverse time. I care about such things. I also care about believable character motivations, which were also absent.

2 terrible words out of 5

1 comment:

cuckoo said...

I liked just a bit more.

Maybe a 3.

Was a fun ride.

Too bad Simon Wells didn't do better though. He probably wanted to do justice to his great grandpappy's work.