In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 6 October 2012

Needful Things (1993)

A mysterious Curiosity Shop opens in a small town and just happens to stock the thing you desire most, but the asking price is a little unusual.
Max von Sydow is great as the pernicious but charismatic shop proprietor, his years of experience are what the role needed. Ed Harris is equally as good. Without those two it would feel like a kid's horror movie for adults.
It's not the worst Stephen King adaptation; with some minor rewrites it could've been much improved.

3 turkey shit sheets out of 5

1 comment:

Borderline said...

I actually ordered and rewatched this recently. I thought I would have liked it more after not seeing it since I was a kid but it ended up a 3 for me as well.

It's amazing how Max Von Sydow looks as old then as he does in Shutter Island.