In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 27 October 2012

FRANKENWEENIE [2012]

Director Tim Burton's third venture into the stop-motion animated world, Frankenweenie is based off his own original short film made back in the early '80's.  
It tells the charming story of a boy and his dog all the while paying homage to Mary Shelley's classic Frankenstein story, even going so far as to film it in beautiful black & white, just like the 1931 Universal adaptation. 
Burton may have been lacking quite a bit in the past 10 years, but Frankenweenie nearly stands up side by side with some of his earlier films, in heart, charms and quirkiness that will have horror film buffs squealing with glee at the army of homages and nods to all their favorites. 

4 cat shit surprises out of 5

2 comments:

Borderline said...

I have to admit I was disappointed with this one. Looks and sounds great but it didn't get me as emotionally invested as some of other Burton's classics.

3 out of 5 for me.

cuckoo said...

You're a monster.

I wept like a little girl at the end.

I love the multiple nods to horror movies, new & old.

Not enough movies tip their hat to Gremlins.

...and Weird Girl cracks me up something fierce.

...:(....where's Bud when I need backup?