In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Wednesday 12 September 2012

Norwegian Wood (2010)

Murakami is my favorite author, and although Norwegian Wood isn't really representative of his work, it still holds a special place in my heart. It's well suited for adaptation, and I was excited to see what director Tran Anh Hung would bring to the tale.

Maybe it's because I've read the book, but the movie felt like it was missing something. At times, it's an affecting tale of loss and longing, but in other moments, it plays like a generic teen drama. The film itself is visually stunning, and there are a few scenes I could watch again and again. All the performances are strong, but Rinko Kikuchi is particularly impressive. In some respects, Norwegian Wood was a disappointment, but I liked it anyway. I have a feeling it'll stick in my head for a while.

3 girls who once had me out of 5.

No comments: