In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Thursday 13 September 2012

Beck (2010)

Beck isn't really the sort of movie I'd normally watch. When it comes to Asian cinema, I gravitate towards action, horror, and animation. However, Beck had a cast packed full of tokusatsu actors, which I couldn't resist. Who doesn't want to see Kabuto and Den-O jam together?  Don't answer that.

I got my jam sessions, but I also got a fun drama/comedy I would have enjoyed without the Kamen Riders. The characters are well developed, and the cast has tons of chemistry. I don't see myself grabbing the soundtrack, but the music is nice in the moment, especially when the movie sells the passion behind it. Unfortunately, there were some weird stylistic choices that pulled me out of the moment each time they occurred. Had they been handled differently, this could've been great, but as is, it's just "pretty good".

3 seriously why would you mute Takeru Sato out of 5.

No comments: