In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 24 October 2011

Stephen King's It (1990)

We all float down here
Creepy clown terrorizes kids and preys on the fear of the innocent in the peaceful town of Derry, Maine. 7 childhood friends—a merry band of misfits, losers and rejects (aka, STS)—are able to fight together and contain the evil, but only for 30 years at a time. Told concurrently between two timeframes, it’s the best coming-of-age story since Stand By Me. Tim Curry is terrific as the iconic Pennywise who controls through fear in a way that evokes the sinisterism of the original A Nightmare on Elm Street. For those who claim it’s not “scary” enough, remember that it was made for TV (a new R-rated remake is also on the way). I love this movie because it reminds me of the friends I never had, never will have, and why I watch movies in the first place.

5 deadlights out of 5

5 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

Bud must have had his Nostalgia Glasses on pretty tight when he watched this. It's clumsy.
The kids were fine but the relationships aren't very believable in the later years.
It almost got the stop button more than once.

2 balloons out of 5

cuckoo said...

I thought it was terrible. Only saw it once and that's when it originally aired. Never wanted to see it again being a fan of the book and then seeing it get butchered.

I recall the kids all being pretty good but the rest was pretty hokey and not the least bit scary. I know it's made for TV but even TV can be pretty scary.

I'll never understand folk's love for this one, apart from Curry's hammy but entertaining performance.

It isn't Mick Garris again, is it? XD

Dr Faustus said...

It was some guy called Tommy Lee Wallace. Garris must have been busy butchering something else. :p

You remember the stop motion creature? I adore stop motion but it was really goofy. I think it was cockeyed.

Tim Curry was definitely the best thing in it.

I have the book but haven’t read it.

Marceline said...

There's some really weird stuff in the book. I first read it when I was pretty young and it gonked me out something fierce. It's strange to me that no one ever talks about it. Maybe most people never actually read the book. ;)

I think the movie is not very good, but Tim Curry is fantastic and makes it pretty watchable.

cuckoo said...

I seem to recall quite a bit of stuff in the book that was next to unfilmmable without looking quite silly.

Wasn't there a giant bird? XD
The one that chased the Jewish kid I think.

It might have been my 2nd King book to read I think. Different Seasons was the first.