In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 21 October 2011

Pink Floyd: The Wall (1982)

The Wall tells the story of a burned-out rock star and his descent into a self-induced state of madness and detachment, told almost entirely through Alan Parker’s visuals, Pink Floyd’s music and lyrics and some wonderful animation by Gerald Scarfe.
There's almost no dialogue, so it’s a fragmented experience that mirrors the protagonist’s fractured state of mind. If you don’t like the music the film will likely confuse and alienate you. Conversely, if you’re a Floyd fan, once you've seen the film it becomes inseparable from the music. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched it over the years.

5 more channels of shit on the TV out of 5

3 comments:

cuckoo said...

I've always felt let down by this film. I might go between a 3 and a 3½.

There's no denying Scarfe's animation is superb though. Yeah....a 3½ it is.

Dr Faustus said...

From what I've read, Roger wasn't overly pleased with it either, except with Geldof's performance. I feel the total opposite, stuff Geldof, Alan Parker did great. :loldata:

budarc said...

A 5 from me. It's grown on me. Plus it's an excuse to listen to the album in full.