In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Thursday 25 August 2016

Captain America (1990)

It doesn't take long for lame Steve Rogers to be transformed into the all-American hero. By about fifteen minutes into the film he's kicking Nazi butt in some of the worst edited action scenes outside of a Michael Bay movie.
The Red Skull is the Captain's enemy through the ages. But he's rubbish in comparison to the one thing that the story manages to do reasonably okay: Steve's feeling that the world has moved on without him. It's achieved best in a scene that has the fly-boy running down the middle of a road.
Overall, he doesn't do very much actual heroics. It feels like a TV movie that had to compromise all too often. His plastic shield was embarrassing, but at least it and the suit design are faithful to the source.

1½ superhero sickies out of 5

3 comments:

Neg said...

I hope you're going to do Reb Brown's efforts :ashine:

cuckoo said...

I remember before this came out they were talking about Jonathan Frakes as Cappy.
I wanted to see this a kid but never got the chance to.
As I grew older my enthusiasm lessened a great deal.
Now I'm glad someone else saw it instead. XD

Dr Faustus said...

@Neg: I don't have Reb's films, but I'd watch them if I had. If they ever turn up in Poundland...

@ Cuckoo: I first saw it when I was in my mid-teens. I've had a scene in my head for years that I thought was from the finale, but it wasn't there, so I've no idea what film I was thinking of. :confused: