In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Wednesday 19 February 2014

INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE [1989]

1989 was the beginning of the summer blockbusters going at each other's throats, with Batman, Ghostbusters II, Back To The Future II, The Abyss, The Little Mermaid, Star Trek V and of course the third instalment of the Indiana Jones series, The Last Crusade.
After the lukewarm reception the previous film which many considered too dark, director Steven Spielberg and writer George Lucas decided to lighten the mood and add in Sean Connery as Indy's dad, which resulted in a hilarious and believable chemistry.  River Phoenix gives a spot-on performance as a young Indy Jones in the fantastic opening sequence as do the rest of the performers.  There really isn't any imagery in the action sequences that are as memorable as the first two but it's an endearing and satisfying film that really makes up for the bitter aftertaste of the 2nd film.

4 bad pennies out of 5

4 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

This is the only one of the series I would have any interest in watching again. I remember the scene where they’re tied up more than anything else. It was the funnies.

cuckoo said...

I had only seen this one once and that was when it was in theaters.

I'd seen the first 2 several times.

...and I'm scared of the next one for a 2nd time. :erm:

Woe is me.

Dr Faustus said...

I’d totally forgotten there was a next one. 0_0
I can't say I'd not watch it again because I've not seen it at all.

I like Denholm Elliott. Not just in this, but generally. I watched an episode of something earlier with him in it. He got comeuppance.

cuckoo said...

Watching Elliot was great.

Funny how he's got that old people humour and comic timing.

Was watching him in this and made me think "this is the end of a generation, right here".