In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 1 November 2013

The Broken (2008)

The only things I knew before hitting the play button was that it was directed by Sean Ellis and starred the talented Lena Headey. It was a film-blind-bag that when opened had contents that didn't disappoint.
Ellis makes the little things seem as important as the big things. Every facet of the production builds a cohesive tension around a shadowy atmosphere lit by lamps that fail to chase away the encroaching wiggins.
The excellent sound design and use of music enhance it by acting like a trigger that turned the chills in my spine on and off at opportune moments.
I wouldn't class it as a horror movie, but it has a lot in common with that genre and uses the best tricks it has to offer. If you're even the slightest bit intrigued by anything I've said, then seek it out.

4 fragments out of 5

1 comment:

cuckoo said...

Didn't know about this one. I'm all over it.

I like Headey quite a bit. And I liked Cashback, so this sounds like good times.