In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Tuesday 19 November 2013

ROMANCING THE STONE [1984]

Director Robert Zemeckis' big breakthrough film came in the form of the comedic adventure/romance Romancing The Stone.
As fun and entertaining as it was back in it's younger days, the film doesn't hold up as well as it should.  In fact I found it to be a bit boring, apart from Kathleen Turner and Danny DeVito's entertaining performances.  Michael Douglas seems a bit out of place at first but you slowly get used to him as the dashing hero.  Zemeckis' usual imaginative flair isn't present as the studios didn't quite trust this young whipper-snapper to carry a film without any interference.  It's fun but not quite enough to whole-heartedly recommend.

3 celebrations with one's cat out of 5

4 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

A few days ago a friend and I were trying to think of any films that Douglas was actually good in. I only came up with one that was worth re-watching but we mentioned all the ones we knew about. This was there, and its sequel.

cuckoo said...

I didn't think much of the sequel to this.

I liked Falling Down, The War Of The Roses, Wonder Boys, Traffic, Fatal Attraction and Wall Street.

Dr Faustus said...

Falling Down was the one I thought was worth a revisit. I put it on my list but the list is bottomless.

cuckoo said...

Your undies seriously need to be bottomless too.

There's a nasty build up happening down there that Ol' Missus Jenkins down the hall is beginning to complain about.