In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Thursday 5 September 2013

Halloween V: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)

Film number 5 picks up the story one year after Halloween IV (1988) and insults the intelligence of the viewer at almost every turn: MM’s Rocket Man escape, his brief Frankenstein moment that goes nowhere, the teenagers with the neon sign above their heads that reads ‘I'm only here to be killed,’ a question posed that every viewer will be asking themselves remains unanswered, the mystery man with the shiny toecaps, etc. I applaud bringing fresh ideas into the franchise, but don’t half-ass them.
Donald Pleasence is great as always, and the little girl (Danielle Harris) is fantastic, even in an overly long dragged out chase scene that left no doubt where it would end.

2 rune tattoos out of 5

3 comments:

cuckoo said...

I always thought it was funny how Danielle Harris would go on to star in the Zombie Halloween films too.

Dr Faustus said...

I didn't realise she was. I'm glad you said though because that means she already has a label entry. I added it to my posts.

There had better be some satisfying answers in part VI to the things that were left hanging in this one.

Borderline said...

I really hate movies like this. There's only like 3/4 a movie here. I can understand hinting at another sequel but don't just leave the audience hanging like that. Reminds me of the last like 8 Puppet Master movies. They all do the same thing.

And what was up with that dopey theme for the two police officers? Idiotic. 1 speech impediment out of 5.