In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 2 September 2013

Halloween IV: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)

Leaving aside the incredulity of how we got to this point in the series, there’s an effective building of atmosphere and the story, despite its obvious flaws, does a decent job of associating itself with the first two entries while simultaneously starting a new arc.
We’re back in Haddonfield ten years after MM got stabby. There’s no Laurie Strode, but there’s someone related to her.
John Carpenter had wisely abandoned ship by this stage but Alan Howarth remained on music duties which helped considerably.

2 lynch mobs out of 5

3 comments:

Borderline said...

I just finished watching this like five minutes ago and it was the worst Halloween movie I've seen. It built no tension whatsoever and the ending was laughable. They should have went with Carpenter's script instead.

1 redneck out of 5.

Dr Faustus said...

I thought it did okay in the tension dept. Things got worse after this one.

I don't know if you're planning to go onward but if you do, IV, V and VI form a kind of shit trilogy.

I totally agree that Carpenter’s script would’ve been a better route to go down.

Borderline said...

I've never been a big fan of the Halloween films. I like the first two and that's it until the remake (which I know you hate). I had never seen 4 & 5 so I bumped them up on my Netflix queue for Halloweentime movie watching.

I kind of laughed when I read the synopsis of V since it's the exact plot of IV. I plan on watching it in the next few days.