In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Wednesday 1 May 2013

The Crow (1994)

A gothic fantasy that endures not because of Brandon Lee's death, like some claim, but because of Brandon Lee's performance and director Alex Proyas' vision. Parts of it haven't aged well, but other parts have proved themselves to be almost timeless. The contrast between the emotional tearing of the primary hero/anti-hero with the unimaginative villains means it pendulums back and forth between serious drama and clichéd comic violence, but somehow Proyas keeps it on track. It has some weighty nostalgia for me because I loved it back in the day. I still can't tolerate Bai Ling, though.

3½ comedy/tragedy masks out of 5

1 comment:

cuckoo said...

I never really liked this film at all. It's got some nice atmosphere, Lee is suitable to the part and a killer soundtrack & score to boot but it never quite sat right with me.
I'm awfully fond of everything else Proyas has done though.

2 1/2 Poe misquotes out of 5