In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 8 October 2012

Confessions (2010)

The first 30 minutes of Confessions are pretty close to perfect. It's more of a monologue than anything else, and it rarely leaves a single classroom, but it manages to be incredibly intense. By the time everything had unfolded, I was left wondering where the movie could possibly go from there.

For a little while, it feels as though the film has lost it's way, but the script is tighter than it might seem at first glance. It's beautiful shot, has some terrific performances, and features plenty of interesting characters. I'm a sucker for a good character study, and there are several of them here. I wasn't crazy about the soundtrack, and I thought there was a little too much slow-mo, but this was still a great watch.

4 nante ne~s out of 5.

1 comment:

Dr Faustus said...

This pops up regularly on my amazon page, because of the 'similar products' thing they do. I'll pick it up someday now that I know it's good.