In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Tuesday 2 October 2012

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)

A James Bond spoof that for me is a hell of a lot more entertaining than 90% of the real James Bond movies. Austin has to travel back to the swinging sixties to reclaim something that the baldy Dr Evil, the Blofeld-esque villain, has stolen from him. In typical Bond bullshit style he'll save the world and get the girl with the innuendo name.
Unfortunately, everything that takes place in Dr Evil’s lair is more miss than hit, except for the wonderful Frau Farbissina. However, the Austin Powers character is piss-inducing funny, so makes up for the failings of the other.
Comedy is one of the most subjective genres, so many will hate it.

3 pairs of machine gun jubblies out of 5

4 comments:

cuckoo said...

I'd give it a 2.

Make it all Dr. Evil and I'd give it a 3.

Dr Faustus said...

:rofldata: I preferred Austin.
I was ill so was in need of a good cheering up. It did the trick.
Not seen the 3rd one.

Impudent Urinal said...

"not seen the 3rd one"
I envy you.
I still prefer the 1st.

cuckoo said...

No one needs to see the third one.

Never seen it all the way through.

Seen the first 30 minutes or so and the last 20.