In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Wednesday 11 July 2012

BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II [1989]

Picks up exactly where Part 1 left off with Doc whisking Marty off onto another adventure with new settings and some that overlap with scenes of the first film (It is time travel after all). The overlap might confuse stupid people, but I think it was handled very well. The often cheesy far future scenes are some of the most recognizable in cinema and there is some editing that must have been a technical pain before digital. Despite that, I find this installment less charming than part 1, but it still gains points for being part of a classic trilogy and the technical aspects.

4 Fuck cancer cure. Where is my hoverboard, Science? out of 5

Nutted by IMPUDENT URINAL

4 comments:

cuckoo said...

I fully agree that it doesn't quite have the same charm that 1 did but for some reason II is my favorite of the three.

I think the charm is lost on the Biff character. Instead of being a bit of a douchey doofus, like in 1, he's actually seriously trying to kill Marty. Weird.

Impudent Urinal said...

Chalk it up to the whiskey? Not a big leap from the attempted rape he already tried.
Griff is the sociopath, beating up old people for car detailing.

Marceline said...

II was my favorite as a kid, mostly because I thought traveling to the future was much cooler than going to the past.

As I get older, I've found I like the first one more and the second two less, but they're all fun in their own way. This one in particular has some very unique charms. I could make jokes about the future all day.

3.5 dust jackets don't exist in the future out of 5.

Dr Faustus said...

Too much bad comedy in the first half makes it an irritating film, with good characters. The way it weaved itself around the first film in the second half brings the score back up.
It always bothered me that Biff got up from the punch and instantly returned to his bully ways. I always assumed he turned into a wimp upon waking.

3½ girlfriends with almost nothing to do out of 5