In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 25 May 2012

The Mummy (1999)

Rick O'Connell finds the fabled lost City of Hamunaptra and soon the sand and the shit hit the fan in Hollywood blockbuster fashion. I should hate this but I don’t. I love it. The casting is excellent. It’s a big dumb action/adventure film, the kind of thing you’d want on a Saturday morning as a kid. That’s its greatest charm; it makes me feel like a kid with no expectations to disappoint. I just drink it in like fizzy juice. The bubbles make me belch and I chuckle. I would love a frolic through the prop dept.

3½ pip pip, I'll score it how I like out of 5

3 comments:

cuckoo said...

You forgot to mention the good ol' fashion Hollywood racism.

Arnold Vosloo will forever be the mummy to me.

Seen him in so many other things since...but he's the mummy.

One of my favorite Jerry Goldsmith scores too.

Fun, fun, fun film.

...and bad too.

Like Indy Jones minus a few brain cells.

3 "there's no annoying kid yet" out of 5 from me.

Impudent Urinal said...

3½ I'm still somewhat ashamed I saw it multiple times in the theater out of 5

I love that whole sand wall trick. It was beautiful... bastards.

Vosloo looked ridiculous doing the mouth thing, but it was oh so entertaining.

Dr Faustus said...

I was sure you guys were going to crucify me for giving it over 3. :p

Part 2 tonight. Maybe.