In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Tuesday 11 October 2011

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD [1968]

George A. Romero made history with this low-budget cult classic extravaganza filled with violence and camp galore.
Wipe everything you know about zombies and horror films out of your memory, sit back and enjoy this film as if you're an audience member seeing it for the first time in 1968. It takes it full effect only then.
I caught it late one night on cable television, expecting a few laughs and brushing it off, only to find myself genuinely scared and disturbed by what unfolded. I suppose it was the surprise and shock of seeing cannibalism, arms being ripped off and a surprise ending in a film so old.
...but after that night, I was follower for life. I love this film so much if you asked me to remake it, I could probably do it shot by shot from memory alone.

5 shots to the head out of 5

3 comments:

Lyedecker said...

i saw dawn first, but i have a soft spot for this one.

plus, it pretty much invented the zombie genre as we know it.

thanks, george.:)

budarc said...

I think I saw the remake first, so by the time I saw the original most of the shock value was gone for me. But I can still safely say this is the best zombie movie ever made. I think it's the black and white that really cements it as a classic. 5 out of 5 for me, too.

Dr Faustus said...

Adding my love for this. Pure zombie gold.